Morning Light

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Rockland Renaissance: Haverstraw Bay

"Haverstraw Bay"    oil   6" x 11"

I  find it very difficult to drive along the Hudson. I constantly want to pull over and sketch, start a painting and photograph. The sun was just setting as I was coming from Bear Mountain from a meeting with Artists on the Parks, a plein air group that is devoted to painting the area parks. The sun just shimmered along the water. I tried to get that feeling of movement....of the light making its way across the water. I loved the muted tones of the town in the background. I had fun trying to make the yellow and blue tones work together without incorporating any green.  I'd like to revisit this scene and do a larger painting....soon......

Sanford Robinson Gifford   "Morning on the Hudosn, Haverstraw Bay"  1866

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT