Morning Light

Monday, January 21, 2013

Rockland Renaissance: Cotton Candy Skies

I always try to do thumbnails before I paint. I admit, sometimes I am too excited about the visual infront of me and I jump into the paint only to find out later, my layout is weak. I never mean for the horizon line to be smack in the middle but all of a sudden there it is! So I have to wipe away and redo passages etc.....It really helps to sketch out your ideas, play with the composition, just take the time to figure out how you can get the impact you want - and yes, sometimes that means drawing on napkins!


"After the Floods"  oil     6"x6"

This was a study I did on site. I really like painting this size, it feels so intimate and I love finding the right frame to accent such a size. I loved the way the skies were looking this day and after drooling over some of Frederic Edwin Church's paintings, I needed to emphasize the magnificent skies of the Hudson Valley. I did some other studies in the studio and then approached a canvas 24" x 24" that ended up with a totally different color study. See below:



"Cotton Candy Skies"   24" x 24" 

I completed this painting during a residency at the Art Students League Vytlacil campus. The space was wonderful , the lighting was perfect , the entire atmosphere was so amazing that it was hard to return to my studio. I love painting this big!
  

This painting " Oil Sketch" by Frederic Edwin Church inspired Cotton Candy Skies and After the Floods. If you are in the Newe York area, check out Olana in Hudson, NY. Church purchased eighteen acres on the hilltop above his Hudson farm- land he had long wanted because of its magnificent views of the Catskills and the Hudson River. In 1870 he began the construction of Olana, a Persian-inspired mansion which was his home and studio. Church was deeply involved in the design, completing his own architectural sketches. This highly personal and eclectic castle incorporated many of the design elements he acquired during his travels abroad. He was an enormously successful artist, and when he was stricken with arthritis, he learned to paint with his left hand! Talk about a passionate obsession! See htt://www.olana.org - its well worth the trip!


I used this painting as the cover for "Rockland Renaissance" a book of the images used for this grant project. It is available for $29.95 through blurb.com
http://www.blurb.com/b/4001818-rockland-renaissance
available in paperback and hard cover

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT