Morning Light

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Rockland Renaissance: Piermont Haze

Piermont's Haze  12" x 18"  oil

      I spend alot of mornings in Piermont. There are so many spots to take in the view. I like to visit in the morning when the fog has rolled in and all is still quiet. This particular morning, I stood staring trying to figure out the color. The tree had spectacular yellow leaves but veiled with the fog, it took awhile to figure out the hue. It was also a challenge to avoid contrast and keep all the colors the same value.  I did many versions of this scene but think this one worked out best.

 I had just been reading on Jasper Francis Cropsey and remembered his "Hazy Afternoon." I was not able to pinpoint the exact location but did find out he painted in Piermont, so I took artistic license to match "Piermont's Haze" with "Hazy Afternoon."
 "Hazy Afternoon"   by  Jasper Francis Cropsey    1873

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT