Morning Light

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Painting From Life

"Leaving"    oil    6x6
Geary Gallery

There is so much to be said about painting from life. You see so much more than photograph reference. Trained as  an illustrator, I confirm how important picture reference is but I enjoy painting much more when it is right in front of me ~ whether it is a landscape painted plein air or a still life I have set up in my studio. You start to see all the nuances of color, reflected light and atmosphere. I think I have emphasized that to my students and when they start to see the difference its so rewarding. If I want a larger landscape I will redo the scene using the plein air painting as reference where I have truer color notes and have imprinted my own excitement or energy into the scene.

"Rooted" oil   6 x 11
Piermont Straus Gallery

Having said this I am very excited for all the organic markets to be opening up! Love painting the fresh produce - especially when it is something unique like purple carrots!!!!??? who knew? I painted these carrots a few times - one for the Carrot Museum (yes!!! there is such a thing!) and one is in Piermont Straus Gallery.

 Happy Spring! 


"Hope"   oil    8x10   
 Geary Gallery

I have already cut my forsythia branches and place them in water to force the blooms! Enough snow! Bring on the buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT